Thanks to YouTube et al, there’s more than a few lifetime’s worth of cringe-worthy guitar playing on the internet. In fact, I would go so far as to say that the day YouTube opened its doors to the world was the day we lost our right to quality control over pretty much anything you can take a video of, especially guitar playing.
Now, if you’re a guitar virtuoso of the shred variety, there are a couple of things you should probably think twice about doing before they end up on YouTube, and one of them is playing the blues. As nothing is more cringe-worthy than shred guitarists playing blues, here are our Top 5 Guitarists that Really Shouldn’t Play Blues But Do It Anyway:
1. By far the biggest offender in this category is the legendary Michael Angelo Batio whose blues playing is an absolute cringefest causing mass turning in graves of blues legends throughout North America. Check it out below. I bet you can’t watch all of it.
2. Coming in a close second is the equally legendary Yngwie Malmsteen. Yngwie’s blues playing is a little less cringe-worthy than MAB’s but you’ll still be wincing. There’s actually a bizarre moment in this video around the 2:35 mark where Yngwie doesn’t play any notes for almost a second. Check it out.
3. Third place has to go to Steve Vai, from those cringe-worthy cluster-fuck versions of Red House from the G3 tour to the video below where the color of Steve’s guitar is about the only blue thing on show here. Take a look.
4. Next up is Joe Satriani, who really does put a lot of effort into it but it just ain’t happening. Here he is with Jamie Humphries sounding like he thought it was an audition for a Steely Dan covers band. Check it out.
5. No one knows how to butcher the blues like Zakk Wylde, but he takes it one step further in the video below and teaches you how to butcher it too.
And the moral of the story is: just because you can, it doesn’t mean you should.Share this